Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Meanings and Blessings of Family Work


“Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of…work”
Successful families are founded upon the principle of work. Work is not always easy and sometimes can cause conflict in families, but I believe when families work together, they can grow and build relationships. When done in the right spirit, family work has a profound potential to strengthen and heal relationships. D. Todd Christofferson has said that “work builds and refines character, creates beauty, and is the instrument of our service to one another and to God." When Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden of Eden, they learned the true meaning of work. In our lives today we must leave the ease of Eden and follow our Jesus Christ.
Family work is a lifelong opportunity. When I think about family work, I am transported back to my childhood and teenage years, thinking about what my life was like and then trying to figure out what to do with my little family today. Work can be rewarding and build family relations
My parents and my husband’s parents are great examples to me of hard workers. My father and mother instilled in us at a young age the importance of work and it has been very beneficial in my life. Elder Russell M. Nelson has said that “the home is the great laboratory of love.  There the raw chemicals of selfishness and greed are melded in the crucible of cooperation to yield compassionate concern and love one for another.” Each Saturday we spent time together doing various tasks and working together and I look back and think that those were some of the greatest memories spent with my family. When I was in high school my parents purchased a home that needed a lot of outside work. There were times when my brothers and I would complain about the amount of work that was required of us. But we did it, we worked that landscape until it was beautified. We set goals on what we wanted to accomplish and we did it. Through that work, I came to love the outdoors; I came to love the beauty of the earth and I learned how to work towards a goal. 
I know that at times the tasks that we had to seemed mundane but we realized it had to be done. Family work really is sometimes boring. It has been said that “Family work is prosaic work-commonplace, even tedious or dull.  How many times must we do the dishes and laundry?  But these small, everyday events combine to form the character of a week, a month, a year, and eventually a lifetime.” It would be beneficial to find joy in the simple aspects of work.
Work is also an act of service. I love the example of Jesus washing the feet of his apostles; he is their master but he did it anyway, he said to them “for I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. (John 13:12–15). In our families are we building relationships by serving others; are we patterning our life after that of the savior. I know that working together can be rewarding, it can be challenging too, but in the end, the blessings will outweigh the hardships and our families can progress together. 
All family members must be active participants in family work; it is vital that all contribute. I know there are times of complaining but when family members work together the work gets done. In my own life right now we are currently teaching our children to work and I am going to incorporate the importance of family relationships more than ever now. “God gave us family work as a link to one another, as a link to Him, as a stepping stone toward salvation that is always available and that has the power to transform us spiritually as we transform others physically.” (Family Work). L Tom Perry states, Teaching children the joy of honest labor is one of the greatest of all gifts you can bestow upon them."
 
Let us make family work a blessing not a burden. We can learn together and grow together when we work as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment